Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My Diet

I thought this was kind of a relevant topic to write about since I've had to change my diet drastically in recent months.  After another series of testing when I did not fully recover from my pregnancy and a lot of unexplained symptoms, I finally found out that not only am I lactose intolerant (and likely intolerant to casein too, they just did lactose  testing) but have esophagitis.  They raised my dosage of omeprazole since I've been on the stuff for years and still managed to get the blasted esophagitis.  However, I had to figure out other methods of healing too, since I still had a hard time swallowing, just to even get the pill in my mouth...

SO I discovered there is an acid reflux/esophagitis diet, and I've been trying to follow it strictly.  Its limiting in the meat department, and of course you have to rule out acid... But then you limit your fats, and grease and spice are also out...  So, I'm in short, mostly vegan. My weekly allotment of meat (I'm only supposed to have it at most 3 times a week) comes when I go elsewhere to eat, because frankly its hard to explain to others that I'm trying to eat clean and vegan.  Even then I've been known to pick out my meat.

So before someone slams the vegan diet, I thought I might point out, that sure, you don't eat meat or anything that comes from an animal whether directly or its a byproduct, some people actually do it not based upon principle or anything, but because they simply can't eat the other foods without their body giving way.  The minute I started going vegan and acid free, I felt worlds better, but when I eat meat or anything against the esophagitis diet, I have a hard time.  And believe you me, not being able to swallow?  Or feeling like there is something constantly in your throat?  Or even sore throat or it being swelled shut... NOT worth eating what I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment